Our mental health service is located in a separate building next to the main hospital. In addition, some mental health staff are based in the emergency department. The mental health service includes:
- 30 beds, including an eight bed mother and baby unit assessment and treatment for patients who present to the emergency department and need further assessment prior to discharge or transfer to another mental health facility
- a dedicated youth unit (YoU) for young people aged between 16 and 24 years
- tele-psychiatry services for rural and remote areas
- contemporary models of practice
- strong consumer engagement
- collaborative practice partnerships with community based services
- a culture of mentoring and supervision with access to world class education facilities.
- a consultation liaison service to support patients throughout our hospital who have mental health disorders in addition to their presenting complaint
- the Youth Community Assessment and Treatment Team (YCATT), a community outreach service that uses a client-centred, recovery-focused approach to youth mental health.