Staff will assess your risk of falls on admission and again if your condition changes or if you move wards. Staff will discuss your personal risks for falling to reduce your risk in hospital.
While in hospital you can use the following steps to avoid falling.
- Press the nurse call bell and wait for assistance when you require help.
- Remember to wear your prescribed glasses. Make sure you can see clearly by putting on your glasses before attempting to get up.
- Always use your walking aid or the assistance of another person when walking.
- Medications can have difference side effects so if you feel dizzy, don’t get up.
- Call a nurse to go to the toilet. Press the nurse call button and wait for assistance to walk back.
- Don’t lean on furniture, call a nurse for assistance.
- Sit down instead of standing while you are in hospital.
- Wear appropriate footwear.
- Use walking aids when walking around the hospital.
- Don’t get up by yourself, call for a nurse.